Policies suspending service disconnections, waiving new late payment charges and reconnecting service remain in place to help customers impacted by COVID-19
NEWARK, Del. (May 15, 2020) – As individuals, families, and communities continue to feel the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Delmarva Power is further extending the policies put in place to support customers during this time, including suspending service disconnections, waiving new late fees and reconnecting customers who were previously disconnected. The policies will now be in place until at least July 1.
“We’re managing through difficult times with lots of uncertainty,” said Dave Velazquez, president, and CEO of Pepco Holdings, which includes Delmarva Power. “By continuing these policies to keep energy service on and prevent additional fees, we want to provide our customers with a little more certainty in their lives. We want to make sure our customers have electricity and natural gas and to offer support to those who may be struggling to make ends meet as we move through this crisis together.”
Customers who may be challenged in paying their bill should contact Delmarva Power Customer Care as soon as possible at 800-375-7117. As of May 15, the company has already established more than 1,414 customized payment arrangement plans helping customers manage the financial challenges of the pandemic. The company also has reconnected energy service for 193 customers where it was safe to do so.
Delmarva Power has extended customer support programs for all residential and small business customers and will continue to work with these customers to waive late payment fees, maintain energy service, discuss reconnections, and determine eligibility for assistance programs. Delmarva Power representatives can also discuss payment options, like Budget Billing, which averages payments over a 12-month period to help customers manage their monthly energy bill or flexible payment arrangements that offer individually tailored payment installment plans.
In March, Delmarva Power was among the first companies in the nation to suspend service disconnections and waive new late payment charges for all customers. The company expanded support shortly thereafter to reconnect customers who previously had their power disconnected. Customers who have had their electric service previously disconnected should contact the company at 800-375-7117 to begin the reconnection process.
More information about the company’s energy assistance programs can be found at delmarva.com/customersupport.
Delmarva Power is also taking steps to help customers use energy more efficiently, providing useful tips that can help every customer save money by using less energy. Following a few simple tips can help customers save 20 percent or more on their monthly energy bill:
- Manage your bill on My Account. Online energy management tools show you how much energy you are using. The bill to date feature lets you know what your bill costs are to date at any time during the month. You can also get tips based on your energy-saving goals.
- Unplug unused electrical devices when you leave a room. Chargers use energy when left plugged in after your device is fully charged.
- Check your thermostat. Set your thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter, and higher in the summer, if health permits.
- Adjust your blinds. Raise your blinds in the winter to let warm sunlight into your home, and lower the blinds in the summer to keep cool air inside.
- Dust or vacuum radiators. Dust and grime impede the flow of heat; keeping them clean helps radiators maintain their efficiency.
- Your water heater is the third-highest energy expense in your home. If the water temperature is set at 140°F, turning it down to 130°F will save a few dollars each month.
- Using a microwave to cook meals uses about half the energy of a conventional oven.
- Washing clothes in cold water instead of hot can save you about $50 per year.
More helpful tips and information can be found at delmarva.com/saveenergy.
To learn more about Delmarva Power, visit The Source, Delmarva Power’s online newsroom. Find additional information by visiting delmarva.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/delmarvapower and on Twitter at twitter.com/delmarvaconnect. Delmarva Power’s mobile app is available at delmarva.com/mobileapp.