DOVER, Del. – Jan. 6, 2020 – Delaware’s Quiet Resorts will celebrate the third annual Fire & Ice Festival in January, a weekend-long family-friendly winter extravaganza showcasing contrasting displays of brilliant ice sculpture and dramatic beach bonfires as well as highlighting the area’s pristine natural attractions and unique blend of small-town charm with first-class shopping, dining, and culture.
“The event is extra special this year,” said Lauren Weaver, executive director of the Bethany-Fenwick Area Chamber of Commerce. “We have now made it a two-weekend event, kicking off on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend at Bethany Blues with our drink competition featuring Dogfish Head Spirits and benefitting Nemours DuPont Pediatrics & SeniorCare in Sussex County. We have also doubled the amount of ice from 2019 and expanded into surrounding towns with more for guests to do and see!”
The 2020 Fire & Ice Festival officially kicks off on Sunday, Jan. 19, with the Fire & Ice Out of This World Drink Competition, a showcase for renowned Delaware brewer Dogfish Head’s innovative distillery. The festival continues Jan. 24-26 in Bethany Beach and the nearby towns of Ocean View and Millville.
This year’s festival will be marked by an “Out of This World” theme, with artwork and decorations modeled after celestial bodies, rocket ships, and extraterrestrials landscapes. In addition, to live music and other performances and nightly beach bonfires, the Fire & Ice Festival will feature:
- Large-scale, interactive signature ice sculptures on display all day in each participating town.
- Breathtaking displays of illuminated ice sculptures by Ice Lab on an evening walking tour in Bethany Beach.
- A live ice sculpture demonstration that will transform a 3,000-pound frozen block into an intricate piece of art.
- A Tasting Tour our of local restaurants featuring specialty themed cocktails from the Fire & Ice Out of This World Drink Competition.
- “Astronomy for Everyone”, a 90-minute engaging virtual tour of the cosmos for all ages led by NASA consultant Kevin Manning.
- Space themed movies happening at various locations throughout the weekend.
- Evening stargazing on the beach and golf course through NASA grade telescopes
- A display from NASA’s Wallops Island Flight Facility highlighting their upcoming mission to the Space Station.
- Food, promotions, and giveaways throughout the Quiet Resorts and participating businesses.
- The Festival Closing Smash Party, where the Ice Lab team cleans up by smashing their ice work to bits.
“The Fire & Ice Festival offers a unique winter experience at the Delaware beaches,” said Liz Keller, Delaware Tourism Office Director. “It is important and valuable to have signature events like the Fire & Ice Festival to help draw visitation to the region during the shoulder season.”
For more information on the Fire & Ice Festival, including a schedule, hotel information, and a list of participating local businesses and sponsors, visit https://fireandicede.com/.
About the Fire & Ice Festival
Experience the Quiet Resorts as you never have before at the third annual Fire & Ice Festival. New this year, the festival will expand outside of Bethany Beach, stretching down Route 26 to the Town of Millville. Experience large, interactive sculptures in Bethany Beach, Ocean View, and Millville as well as a tour of smaller, intricate sculptures in each town. The weekend will be full of family-friendly activities, including a live sculpture demonstration, beach bonfires, and — of course — a seasonal stop at your favorite shops, restaurants, and businesses. For more information, visit https://fireandicede.com/.
About Delaware Tourism Office
The Delaware Tourism Office is a division of the Delaware Division of Small Business. DTO promotes tourism and economic growth in Delaware. For more information, visit the official Delaware Tourism website at www.visitdelaware.com or call toll-free (866) 284-7483.